Friday, July 18, 2014

Humble Beginnings

     What a start! Upon creating my new world I was greeted by a blue screen. No, thankfully not the infamous Windows blue screen, but blue nonetheless. No time to dilly dally though, there is much to do and little time to do it in. First things first though, I need to get dry.
      Ah, much better. The land is to my liking and the animals will be useful in the future. Now for the usual mundane tasks one has to do in the world of Minecraft. I quickly found a tree and began punching until I had gathered the resources I needed. A crafting bench and wooden pickaxe quickly followed. Time to find some coal and start a shelter while the waning daylight lasts.

      This game is going to make me work to get my coal, huh? No complaints though, beggars can't be choosers. It'll be good to gather stone as I carve a staircase up to the black gold anyways. The vein wasn't very large, but better little than none at all. At least now I know I will have light to keep the creatures of the dark at bay. Now, time to find an appropriate spot for my home base.
      While running about looking for a good spot to settle down at, I stumbled upon a group of sheep. Their faces were cute and their fluffy coats were soft and warm. A little too soft and warm for their own good. Three good slashes with the sword later I had enough wool for a comforter. Now I'll have a nice warm bed wherever I decide to build my shelter.

      There was a dry riverbed on the edge of a snow biome. It sharply rose to a higher ground populated by spruce trees. The land was coated with a thin layer of white snow. Being more inclined to live underground, I figured this would be a nice spot to pierce the earth. I dug a hole in the face of the wall and stopped once I had made a nice indention. Then I went down. I had made some ladders so I could easily go up and down and thus began the construction of my underground stronghold. Once I had gone as far down as my ladder would allow, I hewed a room out of the stone where I could live.

     After the exhausting task was completed, I realized that my stomach was growling. Swinging a pick sure did a number on the body. I needed sleep and food. I looked up the hole in the ceiling and saw that it was dark outside, so I decided to go ahead and sleep and worry about my hunger in the morning. Sleep found me quickly and soothed my weary bones.
     The light of day pierced the dark of my home like a knife cutting butter, and I knew that a new day had arrived. I could hear the faint sound of pigs oinking above me, so I grabbed my stone sword and left my home. At the entrance to my base stood two fat pigs oinking merrily in the daylight, clueless of their fate.
     The pork chop smelled so good as it cooked in the furnace, and tasted even better. Now, pigs are tasty and all, but there are only so many in the world. I needed a renewable source of food, and I remembered that I had picked up some seeds on my journey to find a home. While I was clearing out my living space I had found some iron, so I quickly smelted it down and created a bucket. I ran up to the surface again and filled it with water and went back down. Then I started the tedious task of clearing and area for a small underground wheat farm.
     After I had a nice area cleared out, I realized that I couldn't till stone. I headed back up and used my shovel to collect a bit of dirt. I placed it on the ground and provided a source of water, then tilled the ground and planted the seeds. It would be a while before these were ready for harvest, but at least food was not going to be an issue much longer.
     My home was growing along with the wheat inside. It was a productive session and a nice start to my Minecraft journey. No diamonds or gold or enchantments yet, just the humble start to a great world. The beginning is always fun, but more adventure and progress awaits. That is for another day though. Stay tuned for more progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment