Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Just... Keep... Digging...

      After much cow breeding and sugar cane harvesting, I finally had the materials to make a few bookshelves, and after much mining below my base I had 30 levels to spend. I placed my pick in front of the floating book and crossed my fingers. Hopefully the result would be to my liking.
     Okay, so not necessarily good, but actually useful for me at the time. Beggars can't be choosers, so the pick would have to do. I decided to try it out down in the branch mine, and what a difference it made. I was able to clear out so much stone in so little time. Resources began flooding into my bag. It finally felt like I was making some real progress.

      After the mining trip I was able to put almost half of my furnaces to use. It still felt like a waste to me though, and I really wanted to change that. I wanted to use all of them and intended to do something about it. 
      Once the smelting was done I was left with a ton of iron and almost 30 levels. I only had 2 diamonds left so I decided to enchant an iron pickaxe instead. It wasn't very good, but it did have fortune II on it. Perfect for when I finally found a pocket of diamonds, which was incentive enough to go back down to the mines again. Luckily I found diamonds very quickly, and the fortune pickaxe nearly doubled the yield of diamonds. 
      I finally managed to get enough resources to fill up all the furnaces. I bet you're dying to wonder what I was doing to get all that stone, huh? Just a little longer, I promise.
      I decided that I wanted to try to enchant a new pickaxe, but nothing I was doing was netting much experience gain. That was motivation enough for me to go to the nether, where I was quickly able to get 30 levels by mining quartz. I didn't find a fortress or anything cool, but I did get some glowstone. 
      About time! The game was nice to me and gave me a pretty darn good pick. It is perfect for branch mining. It will be very useful in the future.
      So, I liked the look of my storage area, but it needed more. I went outside and traveled to the savanna biome next to my home. There I collected much acacia wood, for I absolutely love the orange color of it. I then traveled back home and began to renovate the look of the room. The outcome was to my liking. It was simple yet appealing to the eye.
       I guess I can reveal what I've been working on for such a long time now. A few blocks below my first room, I now have a giant wheat farm. It took many pickaxes and shovels to dig out, but the end result is to my liking. I don't think I will ever have a shortage of wheat again.
      I didn't even have enough seeds to plant the entire farm! Each of the four quadrants requires roughly two and a half stacks of seeds to plant. I plan on extending outwards from this room and building other farms that connect to it. The other rooms should be a lot easier to dig with my new enchanted pickaxes though. Anyways, thanks for the read and stay tuned for next time!

1 comment: